A forklift is a handy, innovative machine that saves valuable time and effort for your workers, raising productivity rates and allowing for safely handling various materials. However, knowledge and proper operation are key components of forklift safety. Moreover, everyone who works on or around forklifts should undergo safety training to ensure proper safe procedures are followed.
SafetyPro Resources, LLC in Baton Rouge, LA is your Gulf Coast safety consulting firm that can handle all manners of safety training for your construction-related or other company operations. We take care of your company's safety compliance, so you can focus on running your business. This includes various aspects of forklift safety for operators and other workers.
Why Focus of Forklift Safety?
Any machine that is routinely operated around people poses a risk for accidents and injuries. Forklifts are uniquely designed machines that require a human operator; human error can always pose a risk for further accidents or problems. Many business owners that use forklifts in their warehousing, construction, or other operations may be surprised at how dangerous forklifts can be to their workers.
- The Bureau of Labor and Statistics reports that almost 100 workers are killed and another 20,000 are seriously injured in forklift-related incidents every year in the United States. That averages one of every ten forklifts that will be involved in an accident every year.
- An OSHA study revealed that 25% of forklift accidents are due to inadequate operator training.
- Forklift overturns are the leading cause of fatalities involving lift trucks.
- The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) reports that almost 20% of forklift accidents involve a pedestrian, and 36% of forklift-related deaths are pedestrians.
Our safety experts can certify new forklift operators, provide refresher training, or create an entirely new safety program for pedestrian workers and operators for your business. We focus on personalized training that adheres to or exceeds OSHA training guidelines for forklift operators and forklift safety.
What are the OSHA Training Guidelines for Forklift Safety?
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) of the US Department of Labor is the agency charged with establishing and enforcing safety and training guidelines for all manner of businesses. OSHA Safety Training Guidelines for Powered Industrial Trucks (Forklifts) require that operators follow safe rules for operation at all times, which includes maintaining control at all times, watching out for other workers, and using safe speeds for the current loads and conditions.
There are specific guidelines for the following:
- Mounting and Dismounting
- Operating at Speed
- Steering, Turning and Changing Direction
- Traveling on Inclines
- Safe Travel Practices